Friday, June 24, 2011

I know!

I know. I know. I know!
Enough with the bird already!

I can't help it!!
He's always doing something cute!
He lives here...

We are lucky enough to have a neighbor with a little forest right along our fence line.
Mo (as Ivan has nicknamed him) likes to sit in the branches of these trees.

But...
if you are late with the food, then he will sneak through the fence railings and head over to our house.
This is not good because of Pounce.

Today Hannah and I went outside and the bird was in our yard making a racket!
I'd had a sprinkler running which had quickly filled up the edge of a future flower bed.
We couldn't believe it when he decided to take a bath!

See?
See why I had to post about him again?

I've been trying to figure out why this is so cool to me.
I think its because, really, is there anything more wild or free than a bird?
And yet, this little bird treats us like family.
He recognizes the sounds of our voices and we know his (hers?).
He runs across the grass to get to us.
He absolutely trusts us.
He is a perfect example of when the ordinary becomes extraordinary.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle! I hadn't visited in a while and had to back track to older posts to get the whole Mohawk story.

    It is wonderful! What a cool thing for the kids to do and for you to chronicle! I'd like to share a link if you don't mind. It's a great read for animal lovers and people with kids.

    I've rescued baby cotton tails, but haven't had good luck with baby birds. Keep us posted!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that bird. I wish I had a photo chronicle of my raising of Sylvester the easter chicken who became a beautiful white leghorn rooster.

    ReplyDelete