Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Book Thief

I don't know if you ever notice the books that I list on the side column.
Its an option that blogger gives you, and since I am usually reading something, I thought I'd take advantage of that feature...especially so all you hundreds of blog readers could be aware!
Ha!
Anyhow...for those who are interested, the latest book that I just finished is called The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Get it.
Read it.

It is a book lent to me by my friend.
It is has an unusual, but perfectly chosen narrator and takes a few chapters to get into in order to understand the characters and their personalities.
But the writing is beautiful...almost like poetry at times with the use of words and descriptions.
It is a tragic, heartbreaking, real and absolutely beautiful story.
It takes place in a town in Nazi Germany and is written mostly about the perspective of a young German girl.
It gives you insight to what it was like to be German and see the destruction and tragedy that was happening all around them...and to them.
It allows for you to see the compassion and love that existed amidst all the hate.
The story will ultimately break your heart, but what you get back from the book will be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I REALLY need to start reading again - Chicka Chicka Boom Boom isn't cutting it anymore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of one I read that took place in Germany when Hitler was doing his thing and how people had a hard time realizing what was happening. It also was about a young girl and the family ran a book store. It was chosen by O and I think it was The stone in a river or something like that. I'm reading eat, pray, love.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete