Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Don't hurt yourself...

...because it is seriously possible.

For the most part, I eat pretty much what want without guilt OR consequences. I do work out to stay healthy and in shape, but most of it comes down to genes...thanks Mom and Dad!

So, when people say, "A moment on your lips, forever on your hips", I usually laugh.

NOT anymore.

Meet SUGAR MUFFINS!

When I popped one of these into my mouth (and I could pop them because we made them as mini-muffins), I felt it go quickly through my body only to find a nice cozy home on my stomach...the next one landed on my butt and the last one - yes...I had to try it to see how they taste after sitting around for a few hours - made its home on my hip.

These guys are dangerous!

I found the recipe in a blog and they say it's a Betty Crocker recipe, although I've never seen it and couldn't find it via Google. I'd like to give credit where credit is due...but sometimes you have to risk it!

Cinnamon and Sugar Muffins

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter

Heat oven to 350'. Put paper cups in a muffin tray.

Put the first 1/2 cup sugar, milk and vegetable oil in the bowl. Mix with wooden spoon and add egg. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. batter will be a bit lumpy which is good.

Spoon into muffin pan to make 12 muffins.

Bake for 20 - 25 min or until slightly brown.

While muffins bake mix up the cinnamon and sugar. Melt the butter.

When muffins are done baking let them cool for 5 min. Then roll (all over) in butter and then in cinnamon and sugar.

OK...here's what I did differently.
First of all, I made them as mini muffins - just more fun!
Second, I substituted 1/4 tsp Cardamom for nutmeg. Reason(s) being...I have Cardamom and do not have Nutmeg and I like Cardamom better anyway.
Third, and this may be how they did it...it just didn't clarify, I melted the butter on a plate so that when I rolled the muffins in butter, they weren't being submerged.

After they were rolled in sugar, I set them to rest on a cooling rack so that they could sort of "air out" all over. They get fairly saturated from the butter and if air can get to them from the bottom, they won't be soggy.

It would be remise of me to leave out the fact that Jenelle was my official batter mixer. She loves to help in the kitchen. She did question what I was adding when I put the Cardamom in, but I just coughed and banged some utensils together and basically avoided her question. No matter now because she loves the muffins too.

SO

Try them!
Pretend you didn't read what I wrote about them at the beginning and try them! Your guilt will be worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Those look delightful! I know you won't be surprised to learn that I have never heard of Cardamom (no banging of utensils needed here)... but I must say it sounds a bit like "cardio-mom". Ironic? I think not!

    ReplyDelete