Monday, March 7, 2011

Letting Go


Sounds so dramatic doesn't it?
Its just a simple 5 minute walk up the street, across a road, and into a neighborhood school playground with a friend.
It is something that I did at least 3-4 years earlier than her when I was a kid...every day...all over the neighborhood...and without a cell phone!!

For me, this is a moment of some fear...for her, its a moment of pure sweet freedom.

I'm torn between knowing that she needs this...opportunities to be with her friends - outside the confines of home, family, school and the ever roving eye of MOTHER!  I'm torn between that and the fears I have of "what if".
The "what ifs" need not be named.
They are the same fears shared by all the parents that I know.

In fact, this is a ongoing discussion.
Is it really worse "out there" than when we were kids?
I don't know...

What I do know is that at some point we need to let our kids out of the house!

What are the costs of holding her too close?
When will she learn how to handle herself in situations where we're not around?
There's always going to be a boogeyman out there somewhere - there always has been.

We all take that step when we are ready...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.

    You are a great mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dear Mama,
    I still cannot let my Kennedy walk the half mile of country road to her friend's house.
    What if?
    I still have to walk Jack into the gym for practice.
    What if.
    And the one driving... don't even go there.

    I think having faith helps with this. but it's still hard... so very hard.

    ReplyDelete